Man dies following New Year’s Day assault

/Man dies following New Year’s Day assault

Man dies following New Year’s Day assault

A man charged in connection with a New Year’s Eve attack on a young man in Tallaght, Dublin was found with the victim’s blood on his hands and face, Dublin District Court heard today.

Graham Palmer, 24, is charged with violent disorder in the incident which left 20-year-old Dale Creighton in a critical condition in Beaumont hospital.

A co-accused Aisling Burke, 20, a mother-of-one, allegedly had Mr Creighton’s blood on her shoes when gardaí apprehended her near the scene, the court was told.

It was alleged that Mr Palmer was seen on CCTV striking the alleged victim, while Ms Burke was present during the incident. 

The defendants were both granted bail by Judge Michael Walsh.

Mr Palmer, with an address at Homelawn Road and Ms Burke of Bolbrook Grove in Tallaght are both charged with violent disorder at the footbridge at the Tallaght Bypass on 1 January.

The court heard further serious charges were being considered by the prosecution. 

The accused were both charged in the early hours of this morning at Tallaght Garda Station and made no reply after caution. 

Gardaí objected to bail on grounds including the seriousness of the charges and the strength of evidence against the accused. 

They also feared the accused might interfere with witnesses.

Garda Jennifer Brogan told the court the alleged victim was currently on life support in hospital and due for assessment later today. 

She said it would be alleged that Mr Palmer was seen on CCTV striking the injured party, fled the scene and was found with blood which is believed to be the victim’s on his face and hands. 

There was a maximum term of ten years in prison on conviction for violent disorder, she said. 

Garda Alan Young said in evidence that Ms Burke was also seen on CCTV and was present throughout the incident. She was pursued and found with blood on her shoes that was also believed to be that of the injured party, Gda Young alleged. 

Both gardaí said discarded items such as clothing, phones and weapons were being sought and it was possible the accused knew where they were located. 

Defence Solicitor John O’Leary said members of his clients’ families were in court. The accused were prepared to obey bail conditions and enjoyed a presumption of innocence, he said.

Judge Walsh granted bail in the defendants’ own bonds of €750 each, with additional independent sureties of €2,000. 

Judge Walsh granted legal aid after hearing they were unemployed and it was Mr Palmer’s “New Year’s resolution” to get a job.

RTÉ News – News Headlines

By | 2014-01-03T04:41:16+00:00 January 3rd, 2014|Uncategorized|0 Comments