Militants have fired 520 mortar rounds and rockets that struck Israel
Airstrikes on Palestinians have killed 16 people this morning bringing the death toll on the fifth day of attacks to 121.
Three men were killed in the Tufah neighbourhood in eastern Gaza.
Earlier, two were killed in a strike that hit a charitable association for the disabled in Beit Lahiya in northern Gaza, while three others died in a second attack in western Gaza City.
The deaths of eight more people announced in the early hours of this morning included one man who died of wounds sustained in an earlier strike.
The other were five people killed in a strike in Jebaliya, in the northern Gaza Strip, and two further south in Deir el Balah, Qudra said.
Local officials said the morning’s raids hit targets that included mosques and homes of Hamas officials, throughout the coastal enclave.
The latest fatalities raise the death toll to 121 since Israel began Operation Protective Edge early Tuesday in an attempt to halt cross-border rocket fire by militant groups.
Since then, militants have fired approximately 520 mortar rounds and rockets that struck Israel, while another 140 rockets were intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defence system, an Israeli army statement said late yesterday.
It is the deadliest violence since November 2012, with a growing number of rockets fired at Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and even as far north as Haifa.
So far, no Israelis have been killed.
An Israeli soldier was severely wounded in a mortar attack late Thursday.
Another man was very seriously injured when a rocket hit a petrol station in the southern port city of Ashdod early yesterday.
Two soldiers were lightly wounded along the border with Gaza when Palestinians fired an anti-tank missile.
And an elderly woman was slightly injured when a rocket hit her home in the southern city of Beersheva.
Israel has authorised the call-up of 40,000 reservist troops, and threatened a ground operation to stamp out the rocket fire.
RTÉ LIVE PLAYER