Gardaí concern over new penalty points allegations

//Gardaí concern over new penalty points allegations

Gardaí concern over new penalty points allegations

The Interim Garda Commissioner Noirín O’Sullivan has said that she is taking new allegations of penalty point cancellations “very seriously”.

Whistleblower Sergeant Maurice McCabe says that members of the force were continuing to cancel penalty points for friends and colleagues, despite the introduction of new regulations.

The latest allegations relate mostly to gardaí and others who previously had penalty points cancelled.

The allegations include one serving garda who had points cancelled on five separate occasions, RTÉ’s This Week has learnt. 

It is understood that the new dossier of claims includes: off-duty gardaí caught driving their own private vehicles who subsequently had points cancelled on the basis they were driving ’emergency vehicles’.

In one case, in the past two months, this included a garda driving a 15-year-old car who had points cancelled on the basis he was driving an emergency response vehicle.

A significant number of the cases relate to penalty points which were cancelled after no address for the driver could be found. 

Among these cases there were serving gardaí whose addresses are readily available to gardaí, it is alleged.

A spokesman for the interim Commissioner said that she had ordered an audit of all penalty points cancelled since new regulations came into force in June of this year. 

The audit will be carried out by the Garda Professional Standards Unit (GPSU).

It will also include any of Sergeant McCabe’s allegations which relate to the period before June.

RTÉ understands that Sergeant McCabe is actively assisting the internal garda audit process.

The new regulations were introduced in response to previous complaints by Sergeant McCabe that the practice of cancelling penalty points had been widepread for years within the force. 

His claims were supported by a subsequent report by the independent Garda Inspectorate.

It was first reported in the Sunday Times newspaper today that Sergeant McCabe had made new allegations in relation to the cancellation of penalty points. 

Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee, John McGuinness has said he would be concerned if the new allegations were correct. 

The PAC has previously examined the issue of cancelled penalty points, on the basis of the money lost to the Exchequer as a result.


RTÉ News – News Headlines

By | 2014-09-14T14:07:27+00:00 September 14th, 2014|Headlines|0 Comments