Cabinet to discuss garda whistleblower controversy

//Cabinet to discuss garda whistleblower controversy

Cabinet to discuss garda whistleblower controversy

Tuesday 25 February 2014 10.46

1 of 2

The Cabinet will discuss claims made by garda whistleblower Sergeant Maurice McCabe The Cabinet will discuss claims made by garda whistleblower Sergeant Maurice McCabe Mick Wallace said the directive to Sgt McCabe was a 'gagging order' Mick Wallace said the directive to Sgt McCabe was a ‘gagging order’

The controversy surrounding allegations that penalty points were cancelled is being discussed by the Cabinet at its weekly meeting this morning.

Yesterday, Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore said the Government was taking very seriously the claims made by garda whistleblower Sergeant Maurice McCabe.

Speaking before the meeting, Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin said the general view of the Government is that there is complete confidence in An Garda Síochána and that it should be accountable in every way.

Sgt McCabe has rejected claims that he was instructed by Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan to take part in an inquiry into allegations that penalty points had been cancelled.

In a detailed statement seen by RTÉ’s Prime Time, Sgt McCabe said he was never contacted by the investigation team and never withheld any information or cooperation from the inquiry.

The whistleblower has accused gardaí of making “gravely misleading and false” claims.

Sgt McCabe said the direction issued by the commissioner concerned his accessing the Garda’s PULSE system regarding the cancellation of fixed charge notices and that he should “desist” from doing so.

The commissioner said he issued a direction to Sgt McCabe on 14 December 2012 to cooperate with the investigation being carried out by Assistant Commissioner John O’Mahony.

Assistant Commissioner O’Mahony told the Public Accounts Committee he did not engage with Sgt McCabe during the investigation because of the information he himself had from the Garda’s PULSE computer system.

“I found what was on PULSE did not accurately reflect what they (the whistleblowers) were alleging,” he said.

Meanwhile, Independent TD Mick Wallace has called on both the Garda Commissioner and the Minister for Justice to resign.

He described the directive issued to Sgt McCabe to stop searching the garda computer system and disseminating data as a “gagging order”.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, Mr Wallace said: “I think if you read it fully, it’s pretty obvious that this is a gagging order and not an invitation to come before an investigative body.

“The tone of it is very aggressive and it really amounts to bullying and intimidation.”

TOP STORIES

FULL NEWS INDEX

RTÉ LIVE PLAYER

VIEW FULL SCHEDULE

LATEST WEATHER


RTÉ News – News Headlines

By | 2014-02-25T11:38:40+00:00 February 25th, 2014|Headlines|0 Comments